Re: Education

<< Subj:         Re: Education
 Date:  98-10-16 17:36:40 EDT
 From:  charu@ix.netcom.com (Charu datt)
 Sender:        owner-india_policy@cinenet.net
 To:    debate@indiapolicy.org

 Administrative Note:
 -------------------

 Week's Agenda: Economy
Charu datt wrote:

> I would ask, how accessible would fully privatised education be to everyone
[not
> just people with the income levels that can pay for good private education].

Very relevant question (also asked before and answered, I guess).  However, my
response would be to distribute vouchers.  This begs yet another question, who
is 'qualified' to receive "vouchers"?.  To determine qualifications, the
President need to form a team which can 'select' families based on the
creteria set by the Chief.  Guidelines for a certain creteria requires some
policy makers to actually 'work'.  This can be a starting point.

> IMO, the quality of education available to a child should not be dependent
on the
> wealth of his/her parents. I belive, one mark of a just society is that it
strives
> to give all its members an equal chance to succeed.

I accede totally.

> On a personal note, I spent more than half of my pre-college years in
publicly
> funded schools in India, and based on my [admittedly unscientific] personal
> observations found problems and advantages in both systems.

I didn't mean to imply that all the public schools are bad.  There could be a
few good ones.  However, generally speaking, they are a mess.  Indeed not all
private schools are good.  Ergo, as Shakespear said, one can find prob/advtgs
in both systems.

>  I also suggest you consider the implications of privatising college
education.
> This is the case in the US- students pay most of the costs of their
education,
> meaning access is limited to those able to pay anything from $15-50k per
year, or
> take loans to do so. To translate this into Indian terminology: the majority
of
> colleges/universities are "donation colleges". Consider who would have
access to
> college in India if all colleges were private [donation] colleges.

 This is the reason why there are bumper stickers which read "If education is
too expensive, try ignorance."  I am cognizant of the expenses of the US
college education.  I am part of it.  Also, loans are not readily available to
all students.  Only those that qualify according to Dept of Education of the
US.  India can design similar, yet unique, guidlines to sort out qualified
students.

> Again on a personal note, I know my parents could never have sent me to
study at
> IIT if the costs had not been publicly funded. The same is true for 90% of
my
> college classmates.
> -Charu

No doubt whatsoever.  Speaking of school expenses in India, I'd have been left
out of my primary/high school if my parents didn't sacrifice their limited
salary for my tution.  I come from an average Indian family too.  The desire
to educate her youngest son, kept my mother from spending all the money in
managing her family.
I still remember those days when I was sent home from school for not paying
the fee on time.  It was rough, but I am glad I survived.

rgds,
Azhar.