Foreign Policy

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

A few months ago, I was in a discussion on foreign policy which was
quite interesting. At that time, I expressed the opinion that what is
singularly lacking in India's foreign policy is action motivated by
self-interest. We seem to respond to the policies of others more than we
act on our own initiative.

I added a few observations of global events and later wrote it up on
Rediff later on. A main thrust of that article was that we should take
up actively the possibility of building alliances with countries whose
political systems are more closely identifiable with our own than
others, a sort of solidarity of democratic nations.
http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/apr/24ash.htm

Ash