Re: the tolerance debate

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

Dear Ash

     I'm afraid you've lost me now.  Am I right in understanding your
     position to be: that the State should forbid proselytisation?

     But that, at the same time, it should not regulate faith?

     How can the state forbid proselytisation while not regulating faith,
     if proselytisation is part of the faith, as it is for Buddhism,
     Christianity, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, and Sikhism (though some of
     these groups no longer proselytise in contradiction to their own
     tenets) and, by contrast, when certain revivalist Hindu groups do in
     fact proselytise (completely contrary to our ancient traditions)?

     Please note: these questions are intended simply to help me understand
     what your position IS.

     Professor Prabhu Guptara
     Director, Organisational and Executive Development
     Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
     (a subsidiary of UBS AG)
     CH-8272 Ermatingen
     Switzerland