Re: privatisation of public sectors

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

 Dear Mr Raju

     Your prescription was exactly what has been tried in the UK (including
     privatising railtrack and rolling stock).  The result, as I said in an
     earlier mail, has not been a success.  I have not analysed WHY it has
     not been a success.  Perhaps someone knows of a study regarding what
     mistakes have been (are being?) committed, so that if we do decide to
     go for privatising Indian Railways (IR) we can at least try to avoid
     the mistakes which have been identified.  However, as I said earlier,
     I have yet to see evidence of a national railway system working
     efffectively without subsidies.

     Professor Prabhu Guptara
     Director, Organisational and Executive Development
     Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
     (a subsidiary of UBS AG)
     CH-8272 Ermatingen
     Switzerland