Re: Ash's note

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

          You are right, Ash, this is a difficult problem. However,
there is something I'd like to say before I begin addressing the issues
that you raised in your letter. I have never thought that you were
advocating a pro-Hindu opinion. If anything I wrote in my letter seemed
to imply otherwise, you have my apologies. Now, I do agree that
ill-defined boundaries are causing a problem. And, yes, we do disagree
on a fundamental issue, one around which ideas of social exclusion are
clearly being formulated and are gaining ground.
You mentioned two things that you hoped would stand out in the
discussion:                                                                    a] I do
agree that there are a lot of people who subscribe to the Hindutva line
of thought and would not defend it openly. Their attitudes have also
hardened. You need not try to convince me by quoting statistics. I am
already convinced. Had that not been the case, I would not have raised
the issue in my first letter.                    The position I'm taking
is very similar to the status quo, in so far as it permits
proselytization. However, I do not agree that it is the status quo which
is 'not helping the minorities'. As far as I can make out, it is the
reaction of some to the status quo that is not helping the minorities.
b] Ash no one is stating that economic force is okay. Use of any kind of
force to change a person's ideas or opinions is reprehensible. The point
I [and others] have been trying to make is that economic force is not in
the same league as physical force. They are both inimical to the freedom
of an individual and are undesirable. However, the reason I distinguish
between the two is this: the use of physical force against an individual
does not at any point require the said individual's consent. The use of
economic force against the same individual does, at one point or
another, require the said individual's consent [no one deposits money in
your account or leaves it at your house unless you have explicitly or
tacitly agreed to accept that money]. Now, this difference is in the
degree of coercion, therefore, I hold that there ought to be a
difference in the degree of punishment as well. Let us for a moment
consider your example of booth capturing and vote buying. I am sure that
we all agree that they both are wrong. It is also a fact that they both
exist. Since booth capturing uses only brute force, it is easier to
identify. This also makes it easier to protect against, and in the case
of a violation, easier to prosecute. None of this means, however, that
vote buying is OK. It is not, and the law says so too. Still, less cases
of vote buying come up as compared to the cases of booth capturing. The
reason for this is that the burden of proof is heavy; it is not easy to
prove illegal economic collusion towards a specific end. Again, this
does not mean that the use of economic force [for any reason, let alone
for social organization] is legitimized. If one can prove that economic
force was used during the electoral process, the state will take steps
to redress the grievance. It is the same with regard to proselytization.
The Supreme Court, in the Stainislaus's case, stated that each man had
the right "not to be converted into another religion by means of force,
fraud, inducement or allurement. He can, of course, voluntarily adopt
another religion - -." So, the issue is not of the legitimacy of
economic force-its use is already considered to be illegal. The issue is
of the burden of proof.                 I also believe that this is the extent to
which the role of the state should extend in this matter - the
protection of individual freedoms against any kind of coercion by
anybody.                                        [Note: The above arguments are based on the a priori
assumption that economic force (in the sense used above) exists.
Personally, I do not consider an economic inducement to change my
opinion as force, as long as the final decision is mine. Coercive force,
by its very nature, is physical in character. Any other attempt to
influence my thoughts/actions requires my consent to work, and hence
cannot be termed coercive. However, I have found that very few agree
with my definition of coercive force. The concept of economic coercive
force is a commonly accepted one, thus the a priori assumption. One
point though; we need to demarcate the areas and situations where
economic inducement is force, where the same is not 'force' but just an
illegal action, and where it is normal and right.]              Ash, I said that I
believe in democratic norms, I do. If the majority opinion were
transcribed as the law, I would follow it. But that does not mean that I
would stop protesting against the law, or that I would not try to get
the law repealed. Here I quite agree with Sanjeev's 'Geiger counter'
comment. Popular opinion is not necessarily 'wisdom'. Hitler's
anti-Semitic views were popular in Germany in the 1930s. This did not
make those views 'wisdom', Ash. When we decide to try to formulate a set
of policies best suited to India, it was not a decision to poll the
populace and then adopt the most 'popular' policies. The rules of social
organization are not supposed to be based on popular opinion, they are
supposed to be based upon a careful consideration of the rights of the
individual and how the same can be best protected.
Ritu