Re: the tolerance debate

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

Dear Messrs Mahesh and Narayanan

     ON 11Oct98 8.28 pm, Ash wrote:

     >If a religious organization determines
     >that India is a pagan land and pours money into the effort to change
     >Indian's belief, does that constitute an act of force?

     POINT ONE:  Yes it does constitute an act of economic force, if it
     focuses on bribing individual Indians, but no, it does not if it is in
     the nature of a marketing campaign.

     POINT TWO: I would caution you against focusing too much attention on
     economic bribery in the interests of converting people: the evidence
     in India at present is that it is not Christian organisations which
     are using money to cnvert Hindus so much as it is certain Hindu
     organisations that are using economic incentives to convert Christians
     and Muslims to their brand of Hinduism (one only has to read the
     publications of these organisations for the evidence to become clear).

     POINT THREE: If I spend money on a marketing campaign to sell
     Professor Amartya Sen's latest book, I am naturally working on the
     assumption that the poor benighted natives of Switzerland need the
     benefit of his work and, when suitably awakened to their need by
     marketing campaign, will wish to "convert" from their state of
     ignorance to at least considering the enlightenment offered by his
     book.

     This is the sort of assumption that underlies ALL marketing.  Let us
     not get too heated up about this.

     If IP keeps its focus on providing growth for the economy, stability
     for the polity, and fairness justice and tolerance for all, Indians
     are not stupid and can distinguish genuineness (spiritual or economic,
     product-oriented or service-oriented) from what is false or shoddy.

Professor Prabhu Guptara
Director, Organisational and Executive Development
Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
(a subsidiary of UBS AG)
CH-8272 Ermatingen
Switzerland