Re: The key question:

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

ON 14 Octoberr at 18.24, Ash wrote:

>" - why should I, a person of a particular faith, tolerate the free expression
of other faiths? If my God requires the elimination of kaffirs, why should I
heed any other calling? "

There is a difference between my willingness as an individual to be tolerant or
otherwise, and the policies a state develops to require people to be tolerant.

A modern state HAS to develop policies to force people to be tolerant, otherwise
the whole of society goes backwards (as we can see from the experience of other
countries such as Iran since the Revolution and Russia since its Revolution of a
different sort (Marxist) 80 or whatever years ago.

If individuals are not tolerant, the State has the duty of punishing them in
order to ensure tolerance.  If a Muslim goes around killing kaffirs or if a
Hindu goes around killing Sikhs, there is no difference between these from the
State's point of view and the fact that one may "justify" his actions in the
name of his religion and the other comes up with some secular-sounding
explanation is and should be equally irrelevant.

Professor Prabhu Guptara
Director, Organisational and Executive Development
Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
(a subsidiary of UBS AG)
CH-8272 Ermatingen
Switzerland