Re: The key question:

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

> The issue is not of 'listening' to the popular opinion either.

Why ever not? Are we to suppose that our wisdom is necessarily superior,
or that popular wisdom has some merit? If our process of social
organization flies in the face of popular wisdom, then it is quite
likely that we are the ones who are flawed, since it is mostly the
individuals who constitute popular wisdom that are to be organized in
the first place.

> The issue that you raised was something I am astonished at: you
> appear to justify use of physical force if someone uses economic
> temptation.

I don't see the distinction to be important, Sanjeev. To me, any action
that undercuts tolerance, whether by economic or physical force, is
inimical to my freedom, even when it is not directed at me. Further
still, if we are to keep maximizing our individual interests as a key
part of our organization, then I contend I have more to gain when I look
away from violence that is directed against those unlike myself. Why
should I care, since the physical force has no cost to me?

> Question: How can we provide freedom to anyone if we allow the use
> of physical force? Physical force and freedom are poles apart.

I would simply say that freedom and force are poles apart.

> And can you show how and when, the use of economic force, so
> defined, permits one common citizen, X, to use physical force
> against another citizen, Y?

If a member of the society violates the rules of social organization in
his contact with another, it must necessarily remove any contractual
obligations from the second person at once. If your contention is that
physical force is worse than economic force, then I must point out that
regardless of the truth of that, I see both to be undesirable. Whether
one is worse is irrelevent, I'd rather not brook either. You are
arguing, in effect, that booth capturing is wrong, but vote-buying is
not. To me, they are both detrimental, even though one uses only
economic force.

You repeatedly stress the same things without addressing the fundamental
question I posed earlier. I'll tell you what, I'll set aside the other
arguments, we can return to them later if you like. Let's take this one
instead.

" - why should I, a person of a particular faith, tolerate the free
expression of other faiths? If my God requires the elimination of
kaffirs, why should I heed any other calling? "

>From this, we can define what constitutes tolerance, and who is obliged
to be tolerant. I'm perfectly willing to give up my holy cows in fair
consideration of similar preferences of others, but it is essential for
our purposes that we find a basis for even continuing the discussion and
attempts at social organization. I'd also like to see the discussion
encompass the gamut of issues, separate civil laws, funding for
religious schools, etc., not merely be limited to the narrow matter of
whether proselytization ought to be permitted.

> Equity is NOT part of the concept of freedom.

And yet the lack of it is seen as unfair by those who receive less than
what they see to be their due. But as I said, I will return to this
later. For now, let's pick up the basic ideas and see where they lead.

Ash