Re: physical vs. economic force

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

<< I want only one guarantee from a government: that no body will use
force against me (which includes, in case we were not on the same
wavelength, my property). If that guarantee is not upheld, then there is
no governance, no government. I owe no allegience to that so-called
"government." >>

Fundamental difference here. You are so untrusting of the government
that you don't find any role for it in furthering the things that are in
our interest, which has always been different from my position. But even
this limited contract you offer can be exploted . Can I, for example,
say that I owe allegiance only to governments that will protect me and
my faith from economic force as well? It is your opinion that physical
force is worse than economic force, not mine. I might find nothing to be
so bad as the deliberate subversion of my religion by economic force.

I have nothing to gain from this debate, Sanjeev, since I dont practise
any religion and I am perceived to be a member of the majority faith. So
let me tell you the bottom line here, and leave you to be the judge of
it. All I am trying to see is if we have a reasonable basis for saying
that we are of one society. If I am not satisfied that we do, I have two
choices (a) I can step away from it, or (b) I can exclude you. Of the
two, we have seen an increasing amount of the latter in modern-day
India. Practically everyone else who responded to this debate insists
that we preserve the existing lines of organization for various
religions, yet the numbers from polls and elections indicate that my
view is quite common. There is a silent and hardened following for (what
is seen as) pro-Hindu opinion.

It is not because I'm patronizing the average Hindu that I say that you
should not have the right to try to change his religion, as you suggest.
Instead, it is because I listen to him and see what he wants! Of course
he is smart enough to make up his own mind, nad guess what he's been
deciding of late? Why does that escape the attention of all of you who
disagreed with me? I did not make up the popular support for pro-Hindu
opinion, I am merely pointing it out to you. Of all the people who will
ever take the view that I am offerring, I have found none who is more
eager to build an equitable society. As it stands, I do not find our
society to be organized fairly in this matter. Of the choices open to me
(listed above) the chances are that if I elect to stay in, you will be
excluded. I can wait.

Ash