Re: Ash's views on Tolerance

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

This is in response to Ash's views on tolerance.
Ash wrote:
"Every social organization must have its boundaries, so that it is very
clear who the laws apply to, and which persons agree to abide by the
rules of organization set forth in the society. It must first be clear
who WE are. We encountered this problem with language and with religion.
In both cases, you offered the opinion that the groups bound by the
existing laws of the union of India constitute the "we", I pointed out
that it is the very nature of these laws that lead some groups to say
that certain others are not part of
their society. I propose we step back and thrash this out before going
on to more topics. These differences will keep coming up."
             I agree. These differences exist and postponing a
discussion on them till 2010AD will not make them disappear till then.
Now on to the areas of disagreement.

Ash wrote:                                             "My point of
view (where others may disagree) is that this tolerance is best
preserved when we are not vested with the right to try to change each
others' faith. The minute you claim the right to try to change my faith,
I am disinclined to treat you as an equal member of my society. It's
that simple. If we must be tolerant, then we must both be.
Proselytization is UNFAIR to me".                                               Well, Ash, I do disagree. As soon
as I tell another to give up a part of his faith [in this case the idea
of bringing the lost sheep into the fold of the shepherd], I am
intruding on an area which is none of my business. Tolerance has to
extend to the entire gamut of another's faith, not just to those parts
that I find unobjectionable. Also, believing in the norms of democracy,
I do believe that it is the right of ANYBODY to try and change my
opinion on ANY issue, as long as I am not physically coerced into
changing my opinions. The issue may be my honesty or my religion; a
peaceable attempt to change my mind would not leave me disinclined to
treat the other as an equal member of my society. Proselytization is not
unfair to me because I retain the right to say NO. This brings us to the
issue of economic force vs. physical force. I don't agree that the use
of economic force is in the same league as the use of physical force. If
I am offered money to change my views/convictions, all I have to do is
decide and communicate my answer. All it costs me is some time and some
thought. On the other hand, if someone beats me up or destroys my
property in an attempt to make me change my mind, it is most definitely
a violation of my personal freedom and my fundamental rights. To this I
object, and quite strenuously too.
                                            Regards,
Ritu