Re: Brief comment

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

From: Manjunath Somayaji <somayaji@rocketmail.com>
Date: Monday, October 12, 1998 2:55 PM

>What Sanjeev is trying to say here, I believe, is that we all know that
>under the current trend, it does matter to some people what religion
>they follow; however, we should try to create an atmosphere where a
>citizen's religion should not be a criterion for any form of abuse or
>discrimination perpetrated by or towards that citizen. When we see a
>fellow citizen, we should not look upon him or her as a Hindu or a
>Muslim or Christian, Sikh, whatever, but should only see him as a
>fellow INDIAN.

I fully agree. And I doubt if any member of IPI will disagree with this
statement.

We should, however,  focus on the  core issue :  Nobody is going to object
if a person belonging to one faith chooses to change his faith because of
his own considered decision.  But as long as one religious group considers
people belonging to another religious group as PAGANS or KAFFIRS,  that they
will not achieve salvation (or get a passport to heaven!) unless they
convert, and IF THIS CONCEPT IS OPENLY PROPAGATED,  it will be impossible to
avoid tension between  the "PAGANS or "KAFFIRS" and the NON-PAGANS  or
NON-KAFFIRS. How do we find a solution to this problem? That will be the
foundation for inter-religious harmony in India.

"I don't care what
>religion you belong to, but I care for you." - That is the attitude we
>need in India today.

Agreed. That's exactly what will happen once the Pagan Non-Pagan and Kaffir
Non-Kaffir issue is resolved.

Ram Narayanan
janaky@indiaintl.com or loraln@worldnet.att.net
http://www.indiaintl.com