Re: Brief comment

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

What Sanjeev is trying to say here, I believe, is that we all know that
under the current trend, it does matter to some people what religion
they follow; however, we should try to create an atmosphere where a
citizen's religion should not be a criterion for any form of abuse or
discrimination perpetrated by or towards that citizen. When we see a
fellow citizen, we should not look upon him or her as a Hindu or a
Muslim or Christian, Sikh, whatever, but should only see him as a
fellow INDIAN. It might be somewhat naive, but isn't that what we're
all striving for? To paraphrase Sanjeev again, "I don't care what
religion you belong to, but I care for you." - That is the attitude we
need in India today. When we (or atleast I) are in the US and happen to
see a fellow Indian, that's exactly what comes to our mind first. A
fellow INDIAN. How many of us really think, "Ah...a Muslim" or "Ah... a
Hindu"...or whatever? If we can do this outside our country, why not
when we are in our country?

As for Pakistan or Bangladesh, How many of us really wish we were all
one single united country? It may be a reality that Pakistan exists,
but if our forefathers had some sense of Unity, there wouldn't have
been a Pakistan or a Bangladesh today. There wouldn't have been three
wars and a nuclear arms race. There wouldn't have been separation of
families. There wouldn't have been brother facing brother on the
battlefield. And Kashmir would have been a paradise on earth.

oh, well... as they say in America...should've, would've, could've....

I may be sentimental and even a dreamer, but I dare to dream - a dream
of a united and powerful subcontinent.