the tolerance debate

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

Dear Professor Guptara:

Thank you for your post. It seems to me that you are making a
distinction between those who seek to further their religion by force
and those who do so by other means. This is precisely the distinction
you make when you say that whereas there is no evidence on forceful
proselytization or attacks from certain groups, there is plenty of such
evidence for similar action from the Sangh Parivar types.

But what precisely constitutes force? Let's say I'm ten times richer
than you and can buy media outlets that will actively seek to undermine
your independent thinking, and you in turn try to force me to stop that
or force your faith on me by threatening or torturing me. Are you making
a distinction between the two, and if yes, is it well founded? In the
way our society is organized, there is more than one way of subverting
another individual's thinking. If a religious organization determines
that India is a pagan land and pours money into the effort to change
Indian's belief, does that constitute an act of force? Might we not, if
we were equally "powerful", retaliate in equal measure?

What distinction are you making between economically-backed religious
fundamentalism and muscle-backed fundamentalism? Who makes the rules?

Regards,

Ash