Re: The mechanics of clapping and Shri Chowgule's comments

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

First, I would like to take up the issue of the mechanics of clapping.
Almost everyone would agree that one hand clapping doesn't quite work
[except, of course, for Terry Pratchett who holds that one hand clapping
works well enough- its just that the sound you get is just 'CL' instead
of the usual 'CLAP']. However, I don't really see how the analogy fits.
Tolerance, religious, social or political, is not the domain of a group.
It is a personal decision taken by each individual for himself. To
elucidate further, I do not decide to be tolerant because my group
[social, political or theological] requires it. I decide to be tolerant,
if indeed I do, because my brain tells me it is the only rational and
moral thing to do.  Sir, a person chooses and adheres to virtues and
values because they are right, NOT because others are doing it too. The
decision to follow a code of morality is not based on a pre-condition of
reciprocity. The same argument can be applied to any other virtue.
Doesn't one decide to be honest even though a lot of people around us
are corrupt? Besides, the policy of 'an eye for an eye' leads only to a
nation of blind.                        Shri Chowgule wrote:                                                    "A Christian said to a
RSS leader, "Since you believe in Sarva Dharma Samabhava, why are you
against conversions?"  The RSS leader said, "Since you do not believe in
Sarva Dharma Samabhava", I am against conversions."                                             I think the
Christian had a valid point. If I believe in Sarva Dharma Sambhava and
'Ekam Sat, Viprah Bahudda Vadanti' [and I do], how can I possibly mind
if person A decides to follow path Y [instead of path X] to the 'Ekam
Sat'? To reiterate the point made above, my beliefs are not conditional
upon his beliefs. The question has the same answer in a socio-political
context, though for different reasons. We are all guaranteed the freedom
of belief and free speech by the Indian Constitution. My faith says
'Ekam Sat, Viprah Bahudda Vadanti'; the constitution guarantees me the
freedom to both believe in it and to propagate it. His faith says 'This
is the one and only true path to God'; the constitution guarantees him
the same duo of rights. If either of us wishes to change our beliefs,
that too is a fundamental right.

Shri Chowgule wrote: "However, the vandalism of the site has been well
established, based on historical, literary, legal and archaeological
basis.  Having done this, the question now becomes why a temple should
NOT be rebuilt."
        The only valid answer to this question is found in the point 5, as
enumerated by Shri Chowgule. "The attempt for a negotiated solution did
take place - - - - -, these negotiations failed." That ought to have
settled the issue. The organization that owned the property in question
did not choose to abrogate its rights to the same. The only viable
option at this point is further rational discourse, aimed at persuading
the other to agree to one's proposal. Any other option is unethical and
illegal. It is a rational, civil society [and not a personal belief
system] that is dependent on the principle of reciprocity. If I believe
that my rights ought to be respected, I may not abrogate someone else's
rights.
                                               Regards,
Ritu