Re: Mr Shailesh Gala on education is dead right

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Economy

Here, I see a good role for Industries to play. They can provide
scholarship's to different departments, market their name and if
possible get done some research ( I say if possible because of the
facilities available with the Universities varies). This should give the
respective industry the priority to recruit the best students. This way
it avoids the pain for the students to find jobs after they graduate.

Sports also should be encouraged at University level. Get the Industries
to sponsor those events and market their name.

Mr. Gala is surely right.  Higher education financing is a scandal in
India.
As a professor here at IIT, I see absolutely no reason why the taxpayer
should be subsidising each BTech student to the tune of some Rs. 200,000
per year just to see him/her disappear to some US university's Master's
program followed by his family in due course.  India gains nothing at
all.  There may be a case for subsidizing e.g. Mining Engineering or
Agricultural Engineering to some extent but absolutely none for Computer
Science or Electronics or Mechanical.

India's higher education system is one that really needs reforms. I
have tried to identify one of the main problem and solution for this.
Please comment your opinions.

ISSUE
1. Many consider higher education as goverments responsibility and
hence should be subsidised. Government has limited money and hence
cannot support all but only some expenses. Because of this our higher
education is not given enough consideration and is not available to
many people.

SOLUTION
Government should not subsidise the higher education 100%. Instead it
should offer low interest or 0% interest loans to students. Fees
should be kept in par with the actual cost of education. Once a
student graduates then he/she should repay the money. If some one has
money before hand they may not need to take the loan.

ADVANTAGES
This would make institution not dependent on government and goverment
money can be wisely spent on primary education in rural areas etc...
Institution can improve the facilities since now they will have enough
funds. Professors would be well paid and so institute can find
talented guys to come and teach. Currently many colleges don't give
good salaries, hence becoming professor is hardly many bright students
dream. With more funds the number of seats available in colleges can
be increased giving benefit to more people. Students will become more
responsible and become more serious towards studies since they will be
now paying more their own money. This system gives chance for poor
student as well to have education since they have to pay only after
they graduate and are doing full time work.