Re: Mr Shailesh Gala on education is dead right

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Social Conditions

  Minimum Wage
  Rules regarding Safety of Personnel at work to be made clear
  Introduction of Social Security Net
  Introduction of identity card
  Removal of Age discrimination at work
  Creating conditions so that reservations will no longer be necessary

Mr. Gala is surely right.  Higher education financing is a scandal in India.
As a professor here at IIT, I see absolutely no reason why the taxpayer
should be subsidising each BTech student to the tune of some Rs. 200,000 per
year just to see him/her disappear to some US university's Master's program
followed by his family in due course.  India gains nothing at all.  There
may be a case for subsidizing e.g. Mining Engineering or Agricultural
Engineering to some extent but absolutely none for Computer Science or
Electronics or Mechanical.