Admn: Problem of broken mail

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Social Conditions

  Minimum Wage
  Rules regarding Safety of Personnel at work to be made clear
  Introduction of Social Security Net
  Introduction of identity card
  Removal of Age discrimination at work
  Creating conditions so that reservations will no longer be necessary

Group,

The mail below by Sanjeev is a classic example of the problem with
different mail handlers. Notice the two lines with more than 72
characters have fallen off to a new line ('occur' and 'to'). By default
good email handlers will edit your mail and allow a maximum of 72
characters in a line (automatically introducing the carriage returns)
that way the formatting is done correct by default. However if you are
typing in a return yourself the width of your mail will vary from line
to line (eg if you are using a vi editor in elm or pine).

Further try and stick to plain ascii for all attached documents or typed
outgoing messages, this is the most accpetable format by all mail
handlers. Most of this can be automatically set in your .rc file for
whatever mail engine you are using.

Remember if you are attaching a reply typically a ">" is also attached
to the width (you can turn this off too).

It is physically impossible for me to edit all the mails I get to fix
their format unless I switch to pine or elm myself (sometimes I do when
the mail editing really needs an editor like vi), but when we are all
progressing why would you ask me to step back?!. Typically school
students use pine, then you grow to elm and one day you find netscape
mail doing so many cool things you move on to the better things in this
world!

I would recommend you play with the options that your mail engine gives
you and you should be able to set a lot of this to the default mode.

Good luck! Until then I'm there,

Puneet

Sanjeev's mail: