I insist!

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Ram Narayanan wrote:

> When Sanjeev says that  India must  aim at  being the  # 1 nation in the
> world, I assume he wants India to be  #1 in per capita GDP.
>
> This is okay as a secular or very long-term objective to be reviewed
> from time to time, as we go along achieving higher and higher GDP
> growth rates flowing from the pursuit of the right economic policies.
> But setting a goal such as "we should be # 1 in GDP per head" is too
> vague to be a policy goal over the short, medium or even longer term.
>
> The question we should ask ourselves and answer: How can we raise our
> economic growth rate from 6.5 per cent (expected for 1998-99) to a
> CONSISTENTLY high 8, 9, or 10 (or even higher) per cent per annum for
> at least ONE GENERATION.  If we can achieve this objective, it will be
> possible to make a substantial dent on unemployment and poverty and
> get India on a dynamic economic growth path. That is what we should
> talk about.
>
> When we reach a stage wherein India is within the first 20 or so in
> GDP per head, Sanjeev's point becomes a relevant issue.

We will NEVER NEVER be in the top 20 in the world in GDP per capita unless
you adopt - and the nation adopts ONLY ONE GOAL: crossing over the USA,
and then becoming #1.

Do not delude yourself about the task. I challenge anyone to look at the
basic facts and to show me where I am wrong. The gap is already 20 TIMES.
How can you possibly overcome this gap unless the whole country decides to
do it and to follow the best policies for that purpose?

SS