Critical Facts

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Arvind wrote:

> Can someone elaborate on how it has been determined that
> India was in the #1 position in 1750? On what basis does one
> come to this conclusion? Where can I know more about this?
>
> As far as I know, the life expectation was ~30 and the literacy
> around 16% in 1947. Do you mean to say things were rosy just
> 200 years before that and the British were solely responsible
> for the degradation? Of course, they were responsible for
> destroying the country, but to such an extent?

Virtually all nations were equal (developing were slightly better off)

a) Adam Smith said so

b) Heilbroner said so

	http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/Notes/data1.html

c) Easterlin said so.

I like seeing things in historical perspective. Also, note that the
without the historical perspective you won't understand why I am so
serious about this work. Please take time off to read Easterlin. Else, at
least browse about the IPI website a lot.

SS