#1 in 1750?

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Social Conditions

  Minimum Wage
  Rules regarding Safety of Personnel at work to be made clear
  Introduction of Social Security Net
  Introduction of identity card
  Removal of Age discrimination at work
  Creating conditions so that reservations will no longer be necessary

Can someone elaborate on how it has been determined that
India was in the #1 position in 1750? On what basis does one
come to this conclusion? Where can I know more about this?

As far as I know, the life expectation was ~30 and the literacy
around 16% in 1947. Do you mean to say things were rosy just
200 years before that and the British were solely responsible
for the degradation? Of course, they were responsible for
destroying the country, but to such an extent?

-Arvind