UCC

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Indranil DasGupta wrote:

> the UNIFORM CIVIL (NOT religious) CODE or the UCC which seeks to
> establish ONE legal standard for civic life in India ...

What is NOT common/ uniform today? Contracts, torts, criminal procedure,
penal code, civil procedure, are common. Marriage law is personal, based
on religion. What is wrong with that? Since statements of this type
"clapping with one hand," etc., are quite charged, I would urge that a
clear statement is made about what exactly is MISSING in the civil laws
that is hurting your personal interests as a citizen? We can build a
theory and debate on that. Not on a vast generalization as if there are
communities which are are somehow trying to cheat others.

The principle of choice implies that you can choose howsoever you wish to
marry. My marriage has no externalities on you. So what is the issue?
Please make clear. I don't see any relationship between "UCC" and moving
into the 20th century. Please enlighten me. This was a point on which the
consensus so far was that people would have a choice to be governed by
personal laws. I see that it is not on the web yet, however.

SS