Re: On Tolerance vs. Mob-Rule

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Social Conditions

  Minimum Wage
  Rules regarding Safety of Personnel at work to be made clear
  Introduction of Social Security Net
  Introduction of identity card
  Removal of Age discrimination at work
  Creating conditions so that reservations will no longer be necessary

     Hold on, Prof Roy!  Not so quick a foreclosure to the point:
whether
     there are any people who are fanatical or intolerant in power, is a
     different question from whether I am prepared to name them in the
     context of an IP debate!

     IP is about policy, and I don't think this is the right place to
     discuss the positions or personalities of individuals.

     My point about the Babri Masjid, Sikhs, Christians, etc. was not
that
     some of these matters are not sub-judice.  It was that there has
been
     NO CONDEMNATION of these by the government, to the extent at least
     that these were illegal acts.  What is sub-judice is whether
     particular individuals might or might not be responsible (as I
     understand the nature of the court cases).  That is a completely
     separate matter from the fact that illegal acts  such as the
     demolition of the mosque, the killing of Sikhs and the
beating/raping
     of Christians etc. took place and are taking place.

     And there is actually an increase in such incidents because a
certain
     kind of intolerant culture has been created and is still being
     fostered by the active or passive collusion of those in power in
     several states and of course in the centre.

     Professor Prabhu Guptara
     Director, Organisational and Executive Development
     Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
     (a subsidiary of UBS AG)
     CH-8272 Ermatingen
     Switzerland