Re: Fair society

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Social Conditions

  Minimum Wage
  Rules regarding Safety of Personnel at work to be made clear
  Introduction of Social Security Net
  Introduction of identity card
  Removal of Age discrimination at work
  Creating conditions so that reservations will no longer be necessary

Sanjeev, your example is not one that fits the facts well. In the US,
Indians and Chinese may be seen as teeming massing out to take
"advantage" of the Americans in an unfair way. In India, we might see
the US as enforcing duplicitous standards UNFAIRLY to its own advantage.
To conclude from this that fairness is in the eye of the beholder is not
appropriate.

Our determination of fairness is a priori, unlike the example you offer.
Once you and I agree that something is fair, it is perfectably arguable
whether our independent positions are consistent with the original
agreement. In the example you offered, there is no real pre-existing
arrangement to determine fairness, and additionally, the ads represent
little more than political positions, not absolutes in making a
judgement.

My position on delimitation is perfectly consistent with the original
agreement between the states, made in 1970. To say that I should ignore
it as an unimportant issue is to actually exacerbate the unfairness of
the situation! It is quite likely that most people from states that have
worked hard to manage their populations will not see it as a trivial
matter to be set aside. Delimitation discussions take place not because
the high-growth states want it, but because the low-growth states do.
One can hardly rationally expect them to set it aside. It begs the
question "and then what, how do we determine representation FAIRLY once
it is set aside, in contravention of our original determination of
fairness?" That's just not going to happen, in my opinion.

Delimitation, in fact, presents the perfect opportunity for us to make a
statement as a think-tank type of organization. Our manifesto (or
whatever else we might call it) will benefit greatly from having a small
predecessor that establishes the worthiness of this type of effort. A
debate on delimitation will make an excellent trial run.

Ash