Re: Population - Religious Fanaticim

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Population

Of course India is far superior to countries in which Muslim
fundamentalism is
institutionalised.  That is precisely because India is still at least
officially
a secular country. However, if we ever have a situation in which Hindu
fanaticism is institutionalised in India, then I cannot see how we can
continue
to be better than countries in which Muslim fanaticism is
institutionalised.
Fanaticism is fanaticism, whether Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Buddhist or
any
other.

Further, we do have a problem in India with politicians who have been
trying to
"wrench political mileage" out of religion. It is especially worrying
when
political parties launch crusades against minority religious groups in
order to
win political power.  Worst of all is when they talk of changing the
constitution for this purpose.

In fact, we in IP have made it clear that we will not tolerate this kind
of
misuse of religion and that we understand this kind of misuse to be bad
for the
country.

It is not enough merely to state this sort of thing in our Preamble.  It
is
necessary to denounce violations of our principles whenever, wherever
and by
whomever they are done.

Professor Prabhu Guptara
Director, Organisational and Executive Development
Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
(a subsidiary of UBS AG)
CH-8272 Ermatingen
Switzerland