ON TOLERANCE

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Population

I would like Prof. S. Roy to kindly specify which part of my statement
he finds to be 'misleading and contentious'. I would also like to know
which remark of mine is 'totally disengaged from Indian experience'. I
do agree with Prof. Roy when he says that IPI has reached a critical and
serious political subject matter. Religious intolerance is both a
critical and serious political subject matter. However, to raise the
subject is definitely not the same as fostering contention. To
paraphrase Prof. Roy, what does he mean when he calls the statements
misleading and contentious? Does he mean that the topic should not be
raised at all? As for the statements being unrelated to Indian
experiences, sir, I respectfully disagree. I have seen people I have
grown up respecting, claim that the single best act of their lives was
their participation in the destruction of the Babri Masjid. To be honest
sir, this fills me with dismay and worry. I find it hard to believe that
such fervent irrationality will die out on its own.