Common Myths

After thinking about the tediousness (and impossibility) of trying to
communicate to each and every person, personally, facts like "population
size is totally unrelated to economic growth or even pollution" I am
reverting back to one of my favorite desires, as my fingers almost finally
give way (after a month of medication, I am worse than I was before; I
should have listened to the doctor).

Along with the document called "Principles of Wealth Creation" we should
prepare a document called, "common myths." This is a tentative list I had
prepared at one time (February, 1998) We could include some of these
topics as well as others, and we could each of us write a page or two on
each, so that that can be published as a second document, updated
annually.

If this is accepted, I am going to open a section called "Publications"
and include

        a) publications by Friedman, and others (including writers like
           Kaushik Basu who gave us special rights to publish their
           materials)

        b) Manifesto (or whatever else we call it)

        c) Principles of Wealth creation

        d) Common Myths

Please approve this concept. SS

LIST OF PROPOSED TOPICS IN COMMON MYTHS
--------------------------------------

Don't be deceived: we are actually a very poor nation.

Why corruption is the symptom of our problems; not the cause of our
problems

Why the "appealing" arguments of Communists are flawed

Human beings are not designed to be mere labour. Let us use our brains.
Let the brains of India unite!

Why population is a relatively minor issue

Why self-reliance or swadeshi is not enough

Why automation and computerization will create more jobs

Why we must declare ourselves to be nuclear, quickly

India needs a Social Security System, urgently

Why the private sector manages business best

Why we should not be afraid of foreign companies

Why the entire world will gain as India prospers

Why it is not the job reservations but bad economic policies that have
harmed India

Have a small government but pay the employees very well

Why we must phase out reservations in the next decades.

Why environment is a relatively minor issue

The way to success is through higher and yet higher education

We need to urbanize, more rapidly and in a better way

The only way to keep our Kashmiri brothers with us: Become rich

Electoral reform: remove all limits, but encourage a bi-polar polity

Why everyone in India needs to pay income tax

India belongs to all: If you do not eat beef, do not stop others from
eating it.

Want to attract foreign tourists? Don't spit, piss and defecate on the
roads, then.

Wealth is more important than the language a child speaks: why all the
rich in India send their children to English medium schools.

Let not your daughter's talents be wasted. Women are capable of wonderous
achievements