PUBLIC: Re: religious fanaticism

Administrative Note:
-------------------

Week's Agenda: Population

     We should probably find a way of producing an "edited" version of
the discussions accessible as a single file.  This applies not just to
"religion" but to all other subjects.  Such single files could become
"introductory" reading for all new people....

By the way, Ritu, you are right: religious fanaticism is in fact the
single greatest problem facing our country today, since fanaticism (of
any sort) makes rational discussion impossible.

Unfortunately, some fanatics are actually in political power in our
country.  And the combination of religious fanaticism and
corruption/bribery is unbelievable, but many times more dangerous than
either would be alone....For those who want to study the issue of this
particular combination, I suggest a look at Iran since the Ayatollah
Revolution or (more contemporaneously) Sudan, or (even more
contemporaneously) Malaysia today where I predict we will see our
good friend Mahathir turn religious fundamentalism on to full blast as a
means of keeping control, though whether he will succeed is of course up
to the people of Malaysia....

Prabhu

Professor Prabhu Guptara
Director, Organisational and Executive Development
Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
(a subsidiary of UBS AG)
CH-8272 Ermatingen
Switzerland