RE: Thailand? You said? RE: Population

Thank you Antony for pointing out the Kerala case.

I can't help observing here that Kerala has been mostly ruled by
communist party governments. Regardless of the label they attach to
themselves, I think it is significant that they had at least a
theoretical commitment to serve the interests of the majority of the
population and this was executed to a greater extent than elsewhere in
India. [OTOH, they may have been able to serve wider interests because
of the
absence of pre-existing money/power structures that would co-opt a
representative
government as in W. Bengal].

I believe that the situation is also influenced by the quality of
education available to people in Kerala, I'm speculating the quality of
education
available in Kerala is significantly better than the majority of other
regions,
and the higher quality makes it meaningful. A poor quality education
does not improve chances of employment that uses the education.
Therefore, as Sanjeev points out:

>>. . . as soon as parents start EXPECTING that
>>educating their children (a high investment) will yield significantly
high
>>probability of higher returns, then they will automatically cut down
on
>>the number of children they have, VERY rapidly, as in Thailand.

High under-employment is not a serious dis-incentive to education
because alternatives, e.g. employment in agriculture, are not
available or hold even a lower chance of success.

-Charu

  Antony Joseph[SMTP:antonyj@tm.net.my] wrote
. . .