Re: Thailand? You said? RE: Population

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Antony Joseph wrote:

> of these issues. My appreciation to the leaders of this discussion who have
> been strongly resisting the pulls from different debators to move towards
> policital activitism.

Attached below is a news item from one of today's newspapers.
It was just a couple of day's ago I mentioned about police custody deaths
in India. Now, it is up to individuals to do something about it, or debate
on how to put together a document for perfect democracy.

For the Josephs and Subhloks, I have a suggestion. I lived long enough to
have witnessed an India where things worked much better than today. It was
in the 50s and 60s. Agriculture officers actually came to villages to tell
farmers about the quality of different seeds, the appropriate way of
applying insecticides and pesticides, showed films about family planning
etc. It was under the same constitution that we have today. So, what went
wrong? Why wouldn't your perfect democracy document bite the same dust?
Explain to me why it won't. If there is a method, why shouldn't it be
applied to the present document?

My idea: India doesn't need a new document. It doesn't need a new party.
Not another one, please. Democracies work when people participate,
excercise their rights and responsibilities.

What should we do? I would suggest that we write to the home minister and
ask for implementing a common sense policy. The inspector of any police
station where a prisoner dies will be suspended without pay. An
investigation will be conducted on the incident by an independent group,
the judiciary. The SI will be reinstated only if the prisoner was proven
to have died of natural causes.

We should let the government know that concerned citizens are watching
their misdeeds and hold them responsible. Or you can go back to debating a
perfect democracy document. My apologies for taking your time off the
discussion.

Sitaramayya Ari.
-----------------------

Hyderabad: The death of an undertrial due to alleged police torture in
Warangal become a rallying point for all political
prisoners in the State to press for prison reforms.
Prisoners all over the State on Thursday
observed a Black Day by wearing black
ribbons in protest against the killing.

Political prisoners, mostly belonging to the
outlawed Peoples War Group, have been
on relay hunger strike inside all the
prisons in the State since May 18. There are over
1,000 political prisoners in jails in the
State.

According to S Appa Rao and M Balakrishna,
spokespersons for the political
prisoners, a cycle rickshaw puller
Chandramouli, lodged in Warangal Central Jail, was
killed after he was tortured by the police
on May 14.

In protest, all the jail inmates began a
hunger strike. Appa Rao and Balakrishna, who
sent out a note to mediapersons from the
Hyderabad Central Jail, alleged that the
striking prisoners were thrashed with lathis
by the police.

Among the scores injured in the lathi
charge, the condition of two prisoners, Suresh and
Yakaiah, is reported to be critical. They
have been admitted to the government hospital
at Warangal. The incident triggered off a
mass protest by the inmates of all the jails in
the State.

The prisoners are demanding cash
compensation for the family members of those killed
in various jails on account of police
torture, ban on the entry of civilian police and
intelligence officials into prisons, a
judicial inquiry into the Warangal incident and
suspension of all the guilty officials
including DIG of prisons, M R Ahmad.

In a letter to the II metropolitan sessions
judge, Criminal Courts, the prisoners said they
would be compelled to intensify their
struggle if their demands were not conceded. The
letter said mass hunger strike would be
observed on May 26.