Re: -- Population... what do we do there?

Dear Parag,

If you wish to bring in any thing draconian, like interfering (even by not
forcing) in the individual family's choice to have children, you had
better bring along with you in the debate a tremendous amount of research
showing how this can be done and how this helps.

The correlations between education, infant mortality, income, and
population are not only empirical ones, but solid theoretical ones. We can
discuss further, if you like. You might like to begin by reading Easterlin
and Julian Simon, whose books are listed at:

	http://www.indiaconsult.com/indiapolicy/Notes/data2.html

In my firm view (and I can debate this), we do not need any Ministry of
Population. The Para in the Manifesto makes it clear that we must
encourage and support family planning, and so on, but not by anything like
a two-child policy. Choice. Freedom. I value these far more. And I think
people will always decide in their self-interest to have lesser children,
as has not only been happening so far, but will continue to happen. If
they have more children, that is in their self-interest. We cannot
interfere with that choice since we created their poverty in the first
place.

Sanjeev