Re: Re-inventing the wheel

Dear Parag,

You are sure as hell right. We are not going to reinvent the wheel.  The
basic components serves most nations well ie the spokes, the rim. We will
improve it until it is better than a Ferarri or Porshe and we'll call it
Parag 1. Then we'll come up with better and better models....Parag 2, Parag
Supersonic, Parag Warpspeed.

Kush and you are right. In order to improve the policies, we must get the
details of a policy, analyse it and then work on it. That would mean 1.
leave it unchanged or 2. improve on certain portions and attend to
inadequacies or 3.replace it entirely. We need to get the data to work
with. This will be something new to me and maybe for some of you. It will
take time getting the data. We can't get it overnight. We have other
commitments too but we must set aside the time to search for the data.There
will be lull periods in our discussion when we will be doing our research.
The complete set of policies and current situation for a particular area
eg. healthcare must be published on our web page for all to analyse.
Contributions can then be written below it. As we are at present small in
numbers, I propose we maximise the resources of the group and first
concentrate on priority areas. My proposal is to tackle
		1. Education
		2. Healthcare
		3. Sanitation
		4. Local manufacturing ( strengthen small and medium sized enterprises)
		5. Infrastructure ( highways,airports,seaports)
		6. Public Transport
		7. Public Housing
		8. Banking ( strengthening local banks)
		9. Trade and Investment (must be favourable to India)
	           10. Police reform
If there are other areas to be included in this list, please let me know.
Perhaps there should be a division of labour among us? There are other
areas I feel are important such as Defence, Foreign Policy, exploiting
Information Technology for our people. These will come in due course,
though as the group gets bigger and more Indian professionals contribute,
they are free to tackle areas they are better versed in. We must submit
this information to one person, preferably a computer expert who can then
display it on the web page

John

<india_policy@cinenet.net>