Re: Manifesting the Manifesto

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Srinivas Rao wrote:

> Thinking, discussing, formulating ideas is good and a vital step for
> lasting success. Everyone has opinions,  some think beyond their
> opinions, only a few actually do something about them. Now, how can we
> fall into the third category is something that can be...........
> discussed (ha!).
>
> Personally, I do not care whether it is a political party or an
> altruist's club as long as there is a willingness to get things done.

> May be I am operating in different plane here. But I believe anything we
> do should have two faces to it. one is to generate thoughts and the
> other to get things rolling.

> Please correct me if my understanding of this group is in any way
> deficient while I put my billable hours to their rightful use ( and to
> think that I was voicing my opinion over matters like corruption, etc. )

Srini,

Your understanding is completely, wholly deficient! (sorry folks, for
hitting Srini on the head - which has a big tuft of black hair to protect
it - but I know this bright and sparkling young man, personally, and am
pleasantly surprised that he woke up from his slumber! This person's
understanding is actually not at all deficient. And I am sure we will see
some of his spark shine off into this group, soon).

I would suggest that for you and others who are so keen to "do" something
rightaway, without a very clear blueprint, yet, please go take a walk.
Resist the urge to jump into the deep well of Indian politics. Instead,
use your "billable hours" to study, think and come out with a clear
picture of HOW you wish to achieve whatever it is that you wish to
achieve. And debate those ideas.

For example, even on the points that are so far included in the "ideal"
manifesto, do you know the amount of resistence that will build up? Get
rid of IRDP, get rid of subsidies, get rid of the public sector, etc.,
etc. Put into place efficient systems. Easier said that done. The
vigorousness of the debates in this group should be an indicator of the
level of debate that will have to be faced in "real life."

And there are many, many more points, yet to come, which are not going to
be easy to implement. So, as a good strategician, please try to visualize
the pitfalls, see if you have working solutions for those pitfalls, and
then, as I mentioned, elsewhere, we have to expand, really expand, the
debate.  India is a democracy, and no one cares for a motley bunch of
people who cannot speak to their concerns, directly, and clearly.

Once we have the faint outline of a consensus of what we want, and how we
want to do it, then the task will be to prepare articles for newspapers,
in all languages, and fliers, brochures, expanding the debate. But like I
keep saying, that is a next stage. India_policy has not even completed 45
days yet of its existence. Can such a group claim to have discovered the
solutions to India's problems in 45 days, a thing that our governments and
people could not discover in 45 years?

I'm very glad that you spoke, up, though. It was high time for you to
speak up. And this holds for many others on this list.

>From Sanjeev who is: "The old, boring, slow and wizened man on the list
who likes to put brakes on fast trackers!" (Also known as Don Sabhlok the
Greatest James Bond! Ho! Haa!)