Re: Re-inventing the wheel

Parag, your point is very well taken.  By not reinventing the wheel I
did not mean the "wheel" or the concept we borrow will be an exact fit
vis-a-vis India. This is what we are doing on this forum--but we are
assuming that the "wheel" (basic concepts of democracy and good
government)are already there--it is our job to make the wheel fit.
Like you put it brilliantly the original code need to be studied if we
need to remove the flaws in the future code but we need not (at this
point) reinvent a new programming language.
Let me give you an example of how we will have to innovate.  Just this
morning regarding Indian police, I suggested that to end police
torture, you will need to separate the powers of the police by
creating an Office like the Sherif's and the institution of attorney
generals. My original idea? Not at all.  yes, I have "studied" the
ideas in the sense, why is police torture not a standard operating
procedure (SOP) in the US?  Certainly not because the police here is
more humane.  But because of the procedures and institutions that
minimize opportunity for abuse.  In that discussion I had mentioned
that in this country the Sherif and the Attorney generals are elected
offices.  If we were to adopt this should we have "elections" for the
sherif and the attorney generals. No, not until that time until we
have the right people in the political system. So what do we do?
Borrow the MACRO concept of dividing police powers and activities.
Create an office similar to Sherif's (we can give it our own name, any
suggestions?) but we must stop right there.  Instead of an "elected"
person let a career trained person hold this office for now. Our
prospective "sherifs" can come from current and retired magistrates,
judges, IPSs, IASs and so on.  The same with the office of the
attorney general (except for that office you will need a law degree.)
As someone else rightly pointed out "steal" as much ideas as we can!
However, that does not mean that we will not have to innovate -- (We
were talking about innovation, last week!).
 We are borrowing existing technology (wheel) but we still have a lot
of innovation to do--that is what we are doing on this forum.  You are
absolutely right there is no "plug and play".  We have our job cut out
for us.  Who said innovation was easy?
Regards,

Kush Khatri

<india_policy@cinenet.net>
> Subject: Re: law and order
>
> Sanjeev:
>
> I am Antony from Kuala Lumpur, one of the onlookers you have been
> encouraging to join the discussion. I am pretty new to your group
having
> received a few mails in the last two days.
>
> >From the contents if these few mails I find that you seem to be
tackling
> issues at a micro level and your manifesto does not seem to be very
> different from those of the current policy makers in India.
>
> While I do agree that the Law and Order situation in India is far from
> adequate and policies to that effect needs to be evolved and
implemented,
> does it not make sense to start at a more macro level? Find out what
> socio-political environment is conducive for implementing the proposed
> policies? Find out how other nations acheived the development / policy
> framework/ ethics that seem to elude India?
>
> I would have thought that a tracking the experiences of other
> developed/developing  nations on key areas of interest (Policies and
their
> impact over a time-line) maybe a good place to start. With the
wealth of
> information available to from such a benchmarking excercise, it may be
> easier to initiate a good discussion on the issue at hand.
>
> Most everyone in India believe that India's problems are 'unique'
and need a
> 're-invention of the wheel'. Is that true? Isn't there something
that we can
> learn from others?  Can those of us who have been lucky enough to
experience
> the socio-political enviromment in other  nations be ready to
contribute to
> creating this 'wheel' ?  Don't you think that instead of giving Indian
> policy makers  a readymade set of policies which we think should be
> implemented, it may make more sense to give them hard
facts/information