Re: law and order

Sanjeev:

I am Antony from Kuala Lumpur, one of the onlookers you have been
encouraging to join the discussion. I am pretty new to your group having
received a few mails in the last two days.

>From the contents if these few mails I find that you seem to be tackling
issues at a micro level and your manifesto does not seem to be very
different from those of the current policy makers in India.

While I do agree that the Law and Order situation in India is far from
adequate and policies to that effect needs to be evolved and implemented,
does it not make sense to start at a more macro level? Find out what
socio-political environment is conducive for implementing the proposed
policies? Find out how other nations acheived the development / policy
framework/ ethics that seem to elude India?

I would have thought that a tracking the experiences of other
developed/developing  nations on key areas of interest (Policies and their
impact over a time-line) maybe a good place to start. With the wealth of
information available to from such a benchmarking excercise, it may be
easier to initiate a good discussion on the issue at hand.

Most everyone in India believe that India's problems are 'unique' and need a
're-invention of the wheel'. Is that true? Isn't there something that we can
learn from others?  Can those of us who have been lucky enough to experience
the socio-political enviromment in other  nations be ready to contribute to
creating this 'wheel' ?  Don't you think that instead of giving Indian
policy makers  a readymade set of policies which we think should be
implemented, it may make more sense to give them hard facts/information
which will help them to form better polcies?

I hope I didn't barge in and interrupt your enthusiatic discussion.

Cheers

Antony Joseph
Kuala Lumpur