law and order

I have tentatively classified the points raised by Prem, Charu, and Kush
into those meant for the Manifesto and the Agenda. Please correct me if I
was wrong in this compilation. A lot of detail has been left out as well
as subtleties, which will need to be dealt with at the Policy Framework
level. These are now in purple in the respective places on the web. I have
some concerns about the Uniform Civil code topic which was included
earlier. But right now I will let it lie.

I think that the law and order issue is highly correlated to three other
areas: National Reconciliation, Electoral Reform and Economic Reform.
Positive actions on these three will have positive spinoffs in this area,
too.

Please vet.

Sanjeev

[I notice that the Agenda is quite a hodge-podge at this stage: many of
the points there at the moment are too minor to be included there: those
will ultimately have to go into the Policy Framework for that particular
sector/ Ministry.  Some points are very big and need specific detail. The
Policy Framework would also have to include the specific steps that would
be taken within the first 30 days.  Clearly we have yet covered only the
fringe of governance and policy, and we need to keep on churning out all
possible ideas at this stage (brainstorming), and keep debating.  We also
need to get more views in from a more diverse population.

New people who have joined, please do not be on-lookers ... This is your
own group, to debate and contest ideas. Please participate.]

For the Manifesto:
------------------

Law and Order

Vigorous efforts need to be made to raise the morale, competence, ethical
behaviour and responsiveness of the Police, both through monetary
incentives and improved training. The nexus between politicians,
bureaucrats and the underworld, has to be completely destroyed.

For the Agenda:
--------------

Law and order

1. Enhancing the educational qualifications for recruitment into the
Police force and enhancing the salary as well as the training.

2. Implementation of  the National Police Commission's recommendations.

3. Implementation of the Vohra Committee recommendations.

4. Requiring an enquiry by the Returning Officer to verify the Police
   Records of all candidates.

5. Modernizing and computerizing criminal records (this has come in
separately elsewhere, but we will integrate all these points later)

6. Strategies to improve public-Police interaction.

7. Severe penalties to Police officials found using third degree
methods.