Re: Proposals for restoring law and order

I do not know why others are quiet.  One of the reasons why I have
been quiet is that I find it frustrating when we try to reinvent the
wheel.  I have maintained that barring some exceptions India's
problems with democracy and government are not unique.  Therefore, we
must learn from others as much as we can.   The key to any responsive
police force is training.  I did not read the word training in the
proposals below.   This issue came up very recently when some New York
police officers were accused (and are now being tried) of cruelty
toward a segment of immigrants.  The issue of trianing keeps coming up
with police behavior toward the black community in particular.
I do not know what this commission in India proposed.  But I'll be
very surprised if they did not proposed training as the key to
improving the police force or for that matter any other branch of the
government.   But let us stick to the police force for now.   In this
country their is a police training academy not only in each state but
in various regions of each state.  In India there is supposed to be a
police academy in each state, but as far as I know they are
non-functional.   No resouces have been alloted, no investment made in
technology and in training the trainors.  I would like to be
enlightened on training methods by those on the list who have direct
experience.
The other is recruitment of the force.  In most states to be recruited
in a district police a high school diploma plus some other courses in
criminal justice and procedures are required.  Again please correct
me but to be recruied as a constable I do not think a highschool
equivalancey is required in India.  I do not know of any high school,
or university offering coursed in criminal justice, procedures or
public admin to potential police recruits.   Like politics that is
what determines the quality of people you find in the pipeline.   I
did not read anywhere in these proposals that it is imperative that we
raise the recruitment level of potential law enforcement personnel.

Open house and such techniques will work only if you have a
professional police force in place.  Otherwise, they would only erode
further confidence of the public as they will then see more clearly
that whatever is discussed in these open houses is never implemented.

Regarding politicians with criminal records.  That cannot happen
unless there is a commitment made in technology--something I have
repeated so often.  To give police the power to "qualify" or
"disqualify" people would be plain wrong-- as that will be misused.
Information about criminal convictions rightly belongs to the judicial
system not the police--the courts supervised by qualified judges must
be responsible for keeping such information which should be shared by
law enforcemnt and by the election commission as well as the press and
the people.

Regarding security deposits on dharnas, etc.  Let us be careful here.
Let us not assume that all dharnas are bad and violent.   Citizens in
a democracy will always have ther right to protest legally and
peacefully.   The police force must arrest and prosecute people who
are not peaceful or are doing illegal things that encroach upon other
people's rights.
But asking for security deposit so that people can exercise their
rights violates basic democratic norms. What are needed are laws on
demonstrations and labor strikes.   Only a well trained police force
will know when demonstrators are acting within the law or not.
The proposal should be that we set up at least 10 to 20 police
academies in the next four five years that should meet or exceed
training requirements in advanced democracies.  Yes, days of ignorance
and ethnocentricity should be put to an end.  Training programs of
these police academies and the facilities should be open to an
international examination.  There are a lot of retired or semi-retired
police officers in the US, Canada, England, Australia, NewZealand who
will be willing to help out, especially in helping the trainors.  Help
should be sought from organization such as the Internatiional
Brotherhood of Police (the name escapes me),  Internatioinal City
managers Association (?) etc. who will be more than willing to help.
The only viable proposal is the citizen council(s) which should be as
a consultative body and provide a bridge between the police force and
the citizens.
Regards,

Kush Khatri

"Premkumar S. Rallabandi"  wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>
> 	Since everyone on this list is quiet, I thought I would write
> some proposals on restoring law and order in our society.
>
> 1. Implementation of  the National Police Commission's
recommendations,
>    which I heard dealt extensively with reforms in the police force.
I believe
>    this should be the first step towards achieving law and order -
to make our
>    police more responsive, humane, and responsible. I would like to
know
>    any of the burocrats on this list had read this report (this is a
>    very old one, and as usual never got implemented). I also know
that this
>    report talks about setting up State Security Commissions for
better
>    coordination and to make decision-making easier.
>
> 2. Government should set up committees that meet regularly
>    to look into the complaints/suggestion made by police personnel
>    regarding the organizational problems they face in carrying out
their
>    duties. In fact we probably need something on these lines in every
>    profession like teachers, govt. doctors, judges etc.
>
> 3. Every police station should hold a open house for all people in its
>    area to come and share their concerns and to evaluate the
performance of
>    the officers. The idea is to bring police close to the people and
>    work with them. This is again an idea that can be applied to all
the services
>    provided by the government, and is directly related to the ideal
of this
>    group - government that works for and with the common man.
>
> 4. Banning of criminal elements in politics: we will require that
all candi-
>    dates submit a certificate from ther local police stations
showing that no
>    criminal cases are pending against them.
>    To minimize the chances of criminals
>    hijacking the democracy, all elections should be conducted using
electronic
>    voting machines. I know that there is a controversy in this area,
please
>    refer to http://www.cerfnet.com/~amehta/evmsunob.htm. At the same
time,
>    I also read another more recent article which quoted prof.
Indiresan as
>    saying that evm's are quite safe to use and should be used.
Again, any input
(www.cerfnet.com/~amehta/)
>     from where the above article is taken. His name is Arun Mehta,
>     I think it would be a good idea to to see if he'd want to be a
part of
>     our discussion group. Sanjeev, what do you think?)
>
> 5. Making political parties, trade unions and other organizations
that hold
>    dharnas and agitations accountable for any violence and
destruction of
>    public property during such events. To achieve this we have to
require
>    every registered organization to have a separate cell that is
responsible
>    for any damage done by its members during rallies and meetings
etc.
>    These guys would be criminally prosecuted even if damage of one
rupee
>    occurs.
>    Also, depending on the size of the proposed meeting, the
organization
>    should be required to pay a security-deposit to cover any costs of
>    damage to public property.
>
> 6. Establishment of a high-fidelity information-sharing network that
connects
>    all the police stations so that tracking of criminals becomes
easy.
>    Basically, we should put the latest technology to the best
possible use.

> 7. Establishment of a central authority to  monitor the funding of
Indian
>    organizations from outside India.
>
> In addition, I remember that there was a commision that looked into
the
> politician-burocrat-criminal nexus. The person who headed the
commision was
> Gujral's secretary while he was PM. I think his name is Mehra or
Malhotra.