Re: ACHA Bulletin 5/13

Dear Pritam,

Thanks for including me in the bulletin's circulation list. I am
requesting other members of india_policy to write to you to be included,
if they like. [There is a little spelling error in my name (sabhlok,
instead of sablok) sent out in your bulletin, but that is OK since the url
of indiapolicy is OK.]

I believe that while I fully support the point you have raised in the
bulletin regarding the recent nuclear tests, it would be best if we worked
on these issues together in the indiapolicy list, and focus on creating
the actual agenda that we can not only live with but hopefully,
ultimately, implement. The current consensus on this issue on the list
reads as follows:

	   As military expenditures contribute nothing to the creation
           of prosperity, and drain resources from activities that do,
           we advocate the goal global disarmament by all nations
           and the banning of all weapons of mass destruction.
           However, as long as other nations maintain stockpiles of
           these weapons we retain the right to develop such
           weapons as a defense.

I would urge you and your colleagues/ friends to actively debate the
issues in writing, and in front of the entire "world" so that we can not
only arrive at a consensus that we believe in but learn from each other.

The idea is to debate issues and to study them in the true scientific
spirit, and with enthusiasm and hope for the brotherhood and togetherness
of all the South Asian nations, particularly Pakistan, India and
Bangladesh.

Thanks,

Sanjeev