RE: India conducts Nuclear Tests....

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Charudatt wrote:

> >http://www.heritage.org/heritage/library/lecture/hl612.html

> This material is not worthy of our consideration.

I agree that this material is actually quite harmful to the entire world,
in terms of focusing attention on the expansion of arms at the expense of
social programs.

However, in my humble view, we must actually actively seek all such views
and understand their impact on the world.

For example, one of the views expressed about USA by the Vice President,
Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis International Studies Center of The
Heritage Foundation, was: "we still have a long way to go before the
nation is defended."

The view of the Assistant Majority Leader of the U.S. Senate, Dick
Nickles, was: "the idea of being defenseless against an intercontinental
ballistic missile or any other type of weapon system that puts us in
jeopardy is not acceptable."

Clearly, if the USA can, at this stage of virtually sole superiority in
the world, harbour such views to further expand its nuclear and strategic
programs, there is no reason for India to hesitate in expanding its own
program, at any cost. We should escalate the entire global race until
everyone sees sense. The threat to the world is not from India but from
such views floating around at the US policy level.

Such views do not even consider what India has been saying for ages: i.e.,
disband all nuclear weapons! Their security, i.e., of a mere 275 million,
is so over-riding that the security of others - the remaining 5 1/2
billion people of the world, becomes irrelevant, to them. The repeated
claim is made that no one can touch an American as if an American were a
God. Some "rogue" countries might make a few silly attacks here and there
(mostly of a terrorist nature) but that does not require the US to keep
expanding its nuclear or missile program. Conventional weapons, yes. But
why nuclear?

What has been happening is that through various pretexts, the US, in its
own self-interest (that is a good thing, except that it might backfire in
the international arena), has been expanding (through use of computers)
rather than contracting or eliminating its own nuclear program. This would
give it a permanent superiority over all other nations. That would be
completely unacceptable not only to India but to many other nations of the
world.

That is the reason why the arms race has to be with the USA (not China),
and until all concerned completely destroy all nuclear weapons. The USA is
not a bully today. But neither is India. On the other hand, a time may
well come when the USA wishes to boss over India. We know that bullies do
not listen unless they see another big guy around the corner. I am a
complete pacifist, but in the present context see no sense in India's not
being a very powerful nuclear state. A tiny nation which will have a mere
1/5th of India's population in a few decades cannot be given permanent
superiority over India. This has to be a matter of principle.

Well, we had pretty well expressed our consensus the last time we touched
this topic. There is nothing much to add or subtract from that statement.

Like Utkarsh said, we need to move on to other, more relevant topics.

Sanjeev