RE: regarding the ILP proposal

Sanjeev Sabhlok[SMTP:sabhlok@almaak.usc.edu] wrote:

>To reinforce the point on not seeking to increase the number of
"rights"
>in the Constitution, I quote:
>
>"A right is worth fighting for only when it can be put into operation."
>
>	- Woodrow Wilson (speech in Chattanooga, Tennesse, Aug. 31,
1910)

>	quoted at p. 287 of "Power Quotes" by Daniel B.Baker (1992).
>
>I see no practical way of operationalizing the right to literacy. It
also
>assumes that nature gave birth to us with a right to literacy. Freedom,
>yes, but literacy? What natural right to literacy accrues to us as
human
>beings?

I believe your argument is too literal. Consider the US constitution's
guarantee to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". The
government cannot guarantee that it's citizens lives are preserved and
if someone without shelter dies in the cold from exposure this right
is not grounds for suing the government.

As power is decentralized, a small set of  BASIC responsibilities of the
local government need to be stated and I believe that education of
children is one of them that should be non-negotiable.
I see the role of this right as preventing the local government from
shirking its responsibility.

-Charu

BTW, I wonder what the context of the quote from Woodrow Wilson is. He
blocked giving women the right to vote in this country during his
presidency, yielding only when the political pressure became
irresistible.