Education as a fundamental right

I am glad to forward the views of Madhav (of Pratham) on education as a
fundamental right. I think we must take a considered view on this.

I haven;t had the time to contribute to the discussion. However, I will
when I get the time.

As far as making education a justiceable fundamental right is concerned,
it became so in 1993 after the Unnikrishnan Vs. State of Andhra Pradesh
decision of the Supreme Court. People just are not aware of it and do
not know how to proceed. Making it a part of the Constitution is another
matter. If you see the Statement of Reason in the Bill (you'll have to
browse the site for the Report of the Parliamentary Committee and find
the Bill in the compilation), you will see one set of question.  To me,
the Courts making it a fundamental right and 2/3 majority in the
Parliament voting for it is very different. Getting 5 MPs to stand for
it right now is difficult (they all say it should be done). To get the
2/3 MPs to stand up for it will require some major political
churning.... that process is clearly very important in a democracy since
it leads to various arguments and counter arguments which clarify
thinking etc.

The feared litigations could be of two type: unreasonable and just.
However, most people feel that we need not fear the unreasonable. There
is so much more just litigation possisble and needs to be taken up. The
litigations go on anyway....

I am sending you a brief report of a Conference we had organized
recently in Delhi.

Madhav
----------------------------
Pratham
NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON EDUCATION AS A FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT
April 24-25, 1998
New Delhi

Summary of the Proceedings

About 180 people from various walks of life, including representatives
from government and non-governmental organisations participated in the
National Conference.  The participants came from many states in the
country.

April 24

Nearly 250,000 letters addressed to the President of India, were
received as part of the Voice of India campaign.  Of these, some 13,000
letters were pasted to a cloth of one kilometre length and displayed in
a prominent place in Delhi.  About 200 school children had volunteered
to hold the cloth containing the letters.

The Inaugural Address was made by Dr. Armaity Desai (Trustee - Pratham
and Chairperson of University Grants Commission) and Mr. P. R. Dasgupta
(Secretary-Education, Government of India).  Two children presented a
some files containing these letters to Mr. Dasgupta.  Two letters were
also read out in the Conference.

Dr. Manmohan Singh (Former Finance Minister) and Mr. Bratin Sengupta
(Rajya Sabha MP - CPM) participated in the Panel Discussion on "Current
Status of the Bill and Finances", which was moderated by Mr. Mahesh
Rangarajan (Political Analyst).  In a situation of scarce resources, the
tendency on the part of the government will be to allocate more money to
areas where there is great public demand.  Therefore, it will be
extremely important to build up public pressure in order to get greater
financial allocations for education.

The Panel Discussion on "Legal Aspects" had Dr. N. L. Mitra (Director of
National Law School), Justice Leila Seth (Member of the Law Commission
of India), Ms. Kiran Bedi (Senior IPS Officer), and Mr. Gordon Alexander
(India representative - UNICEF).  The session was moderated by Ms.
Vasudha Dhagamvar (Senior Lawyer).  The panellists felt that though the
Supreme Court had ruled that education is a fundamental right, it will
be important to formalise the same through a Constitutional Amendment.

Senior leader of the Congress party Mr. Rajesh Pilot, Minister of State
for HRD Ms. Uma Bharti and Former Home Secretary and Senior bureaucrat
Mr. Padmanabhiah participated in the session on "Political and
Administrative Will".  The session was moderated by Mr. Rajdeep
Sardesai, a popular TV journalist.  The panel felt that it would be very
important that the demand for better education come from the people.
Political will can be shaped by the will of the people.

The evening was spent in group discussions among NGO participants (in 3
groups) to work out an action plan and debate the Draft Resolution that
had been circulated to all participants.

April 25

One representative from each of the three groups was given the
opportunity to present the groupsí views.  The session was then opened
up for all participants to provide their inputs on the Draft Resolution.
The session was co-ordinated by Ms. Vijaya Chauhan (UNICEF -
Maharashtra).

The National Conference concluded with a solemn declaration on the part
of all partners of the National Alliance to implement the Fundamental
Right to Education, based on the Supreme Court judgement.  The National
Alliance will work out the details of an action plan and circulate it to
all participants and will encourage many more organisations to be part
of the Alliance.

The Conference concluded at 2.00 p.m.