Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ari Sitaramayya <ari@Oakland.edu>
To: sabhlok@almaak.usc.edu
Subject: escape from Sanjeev!

Mr. Sanjeev:

The following post of yours was brought to my attention by a friend who is
a member of your group. True, I unsubscribed yesterday. Your
characterization of that with "escape from reality is often easier than
finding out facts" is interesting.

You can continue on your path. I explained at great lengths what my
attitude to India's problems is. I didn't hide my views. Because I don't
choose your path doesn't mean that I am escaping from reality. If that is
the kind of reasoning you are taught at USC, I am glad you are there, and
not in my class.

May be I can try one more time to tell you about my attitude. I don't sit
down and write manifestos when I see problems. I do what little I can to
resolve them. I believe that if every citizen participates in the
democratic process, there would be no need for a new manifesto.

There is another reason why I think it is a waste of my time to
participate in your group. To me the method is a tool to achieve a
goal. To you Capitalism is the ideal. Everything revolves around it. When
you find a problem with that, you conveniently say that we will "regulate
it". Regulation is simply an undefined escape clause. I am a Social
Democrat. For me the Society comes first, not the method. To you, the
society will get the benefit, eventually, of your method.

What I chose to do, by unsubscribing, is not to escape, but to stop
wasting my time.

But I wish you and your group well.

Sitaramayya Ari
Professor of Biomedical Sciences