General Debate

Ari, I'm really glad you answered those questions. My purpose in doing so
was not aimed at getting you to agree with me. I would have been just as
happy if you had disagreed with me. As I mentioned in my e-mail earlier,
when tackling a problem, it is better to first agree upon a set of general
concepts that can be used to tackle the problem. Once agreed upon by the
group, the discussion can go one step further and generate a number of
specific ideas/proposals under each general idea/concept. The discussion
can go on in this manner generating sub-ideas and sub-sub-ideas just like
how a tree divides into a few branches each of which then goes on to divide
into more branches and so on and so on, with the discussion becoming more
detailed and more specific as we move from the larger branches to the
smaller ones. One can then go on to talk about methods to implement each
sub-sub-idea. However there must be general agreement at each branch of the
discussion through debate and persuasion.
	Before Sanjeev gets me wrong, I have not claimed that the general points I
brought up re:farm policy are the correct ones to use as starting points.
He as already argued why the first 2 points are not feasible and I do agree
with some of the arguments he brought up. I suggested that illegal sources
of private lending be banned. Sanjeev, I still believe in the substance of
this point. Let me phrase it another way--- There must be legislation
making loan shark activity illegal. I'm not sure if there is one  at the
moment or if it is adequate. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

John