Two medical systems?

     >  Why do we need to encourage two medical systems? Those who want to
     practise any of these are free to do so. If at all encouragement is to
     be given, there must be just one system - the best from each. In any
     case, government should not get into research funding for technology
     and medicine - there is enough commercial use and it is possible to
     sustain it through private participation.<

     India is the only country in the world, so far as I am aware, which
     supports not two but three systems of medicine (allopathic, Unani and
     traditional/Vedic).

     As someone with a long-standing though amateur interest in medical
     matters (but I do treat most of the medical problems in my household
     of six!), I don't want to go in detail into the merits and demerits of
     the various medical systems.

     Suffice it to say that this support for the 3 systems is one of the
     good things being done by the government since Independence, since it
     allows Indians to have the benefits of all three systems (Western
     countries are only now beginnning to appreciate the benefits of
     traditional systems of medicine).

     Prabhu