Wealth of MPs -Reply

Arvind,

Why should MPs go public with their assets?  I believe that the best
reason is that we can look at the portfolia of politicians in order to
determine if there are any conflicts of interest.  Will a Cabinet Minister, for
example, be regulating an industry, or sector of the economy, where he
or she has an economic interest?  Perhaps a Minister whose
organization procures products from the private sector, could influence
which firm is awarded government contracts based on his or her
investments.  These reports should not, and most likely would not, be
published in the Hindustan Times, but they should be made available for
public inspection.

Andrew Vargo