Wealth of MPs

A point about MPs declaring their wealth on internet/publicly.
I saw that this has been included in the IP web page.
This is just not acceptable - Why should MPs go public with
their assets? They will only become more vulnerable to
criminals if they go public. Is it not enough if we know that
the wealth they have is earned by honest means? Or should we
decide whom to vote for based on the assets owned?
I suggest that the representative submit the list of assets to
the tax department or court and get a clearance. People who
apply for a passport get police clearance. Surely, a similar
approach can be taken with regard to the representatives of
people. A person who fakes his/her declaration can be dealt
in a suitable manner (the details of which I do not go into!)

-Arvind