Do we need greater focus/action?

Some folks on this thread have argued that the current efforts are too
airy-fairy to make a realistic difference in the lives of the people who
most need to see our thoughts translated into action. I disagree, but
not entirely. I think it is imperative for IP to demonstrate that in a
limited sense, any large-scale objectives we have (uplift India, for
e.g.) must be meaningfully tied to much smaller-scale achievements. I
realize that various policies make individual contributions toward the
larger goal, and don't discount that.

Still, my experience with other efforts is that in order to rope in the
contributions or even mere solidarity of others with similar concerns,
it is first necessary to show that we can do what we are setting out to
do in a limited sense. With India Together, for e.g., (and I invite
those who have'nt already been here to check out
http://www.indiatogether.org), the first three or four months have gone
by in developing a format, bouncing the idea off potential participants,
etc. And yet when we finally launched in early August, we have no more
than a dozen people who were actually beyond their initial skepticism.
Many were enthusiastic about the idea, but that didn't stop them from
having a "it's been tried before" attitude alongside. Now that we have a
full-fledged site with a demonstrable campaign being built, we are
seeing far more people sign on to the compaign, if only to keep
themselves informed. The bottom line is this - talk is cheap. And I
don't say that in an accusatory manner, after all I am one of those
talking here, and I'm here as often as anyone else, almost.

I'd like to think of ways in which IP can put together a focus sub-group
which will work as an advance team for the intentions laid out here, and
will pick a paritcular focus for itself. The sub-group can maintain
continuous communication with the larger audience. Even the team games
need those who can run with the ball and others to hold the fort.
Without this precision, the risk of failure is greater. I know there are
already some sub-groups here, but I'd like to see those subgroups lead
more and the general audience take specific cues from their leadership
in individual directions.