Re: Problems with 'participatory democracy'

> a) the "user pays principle" under the manifesto under economic
> policy [user to pay to the extent possible]

> b) the issue of encouraging refernda on major policy issues.

I take it that you and Anthony both are saying that economic democracy
is an ideal that is difficult to achieve, if not impossible. I recognize
that, and accept the compromise proposed above, with this specific rider
attached as a poser:

- do we explicitly state that economic democracy is the ideal and that a
representative/participatory model (even one that incorporates the
user-pays principle in substantial degree) is at best an approximation
of the ideal? In doing so, we might be able to build in language that
clearly says that approximating the ideal must be the primary objective
in formulating the non-ideal alternative.

It is because I see most policies as approximates, at best, of the
ideal, that I wanted the earlier provision in the manifesto requiring
that in the event we are unable to alter society using pre-agreed
methods, we remain obliged to uphold existing norms and codes of
conduct.

Ash