Addition to manifesto:

I thought we must get a good definition of "participatory democracy" since
we have used this word in the manifesto.

After a search, I think I've found one that seems to capture the gist of
what I had in mind (and I think others, too, particularly Kush). This def.
is by Carole Pateman, from her book, "Participatory and Democratic
Theory," Cambridge Univ.Press, 1970, and has a comparative logic that
covers Schumpeter, Berleson, Dahl, Eckstein, and the classicals, viz.,
Rousseau, J.S. Mill, and .GD.H.Cole, etc. My readings in democracy are a
bit rusty, but I seemed to find agreement with most of the arguments in
this book by Pateman though my interpretation (particularly on industrial
democracy) differs from Pateman. Be that as it may, I would like to add to
the manifesto (paraphrased: added upon at places by me):

"The citizen must have the opportunity to participate directly in the
decision making process - wherever possible, technologically, and
economically. This participation would better enable each citizen to
appreciate the connection between the public and private spheres. The
citizen would be better able to assess the performance of representatives
at the national level, and each citizen would have the opportunity to
become an educated, public citizen."

In particular, given the avaiability of technology, I would envisage the
expansion of forums such as IP in order to allow each citizen to voice
his/her concerns and to help develop a society in which each person
understands why a particular decision was taken or institution created, as
a compromise between conflictig ends. Essetially, what is called, civil
society.

Pl. vet the above para. I'll then include it in the manifesto.

SS