Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:58:01 -0400
From: Sameer Bandhu <bandhusa@pilot.msu.edu>
To: Sanjeev Sabhlok <sabhlok@almaak.usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Hi!

Hi Sanjeev:
Just browsed through your site.

Thought I would share a story with you; Just like you, my dad was also a
state administrative service officer- is retired now. Through out his
life he worked honestly and after retiring as Assistant Commissioner, he
decided to do some social service, so he adopted a village and started
working for its development. He thought that the village needed a water
pump (for whatever reason,can't remember why, now!) so he approached the
District Rural Development Officer with the request. To his dismay the
officer asked my dad how much commission he would get out of this. Two
years before this my dad had worked on the same position. He got
frustrated and left his village adoption!

In a way I agree with you, to live life in India one has to have one of
the two ; riches or position. And generally people with position make
riches too- by fair means or unfair. Atleast this does happen
now-a-days! As for the general people, the so called middle class- life
is hell, there is struggle every where.

I personally think, one of the main reasons for the present state of
affairs in India is the bueraucracy. Another example- we have been
trying to get official recognition for GNDUAA from Amritsar, since the
past year. We have tried contacting people over email, and even by
surface mail. We are offering to host a web page for GNDU for free, we
are even willing to design it. No one has the time to respond!

I know I sound more frustrated than enthusiastic but I think that is
what majority of students like me,who come to the US, are. Luckily I
haven't been to India since the past two years when I came here or I
would have been more frustrated. This doesn't mean that I don't love
India- infact I do, but I really don't know what will make it better.
Till politicians like Laalu Prasad are living, do you think India will
see light?

I really appreciate Chandrababu Naidu, I think India needs people like
him. He's doing great for his state!

This much should be quite a treat for you for now.

Take care.

-Sameer

Sameer Bandhu
URL:http://www.msu.edu/~bandhusa