Free, but "Citizen"?

> This week's Debate:
> ===================
>
>	"The Free Citizen and Fair Society"

My apologies if I should cover ground you've already been over, simply
let me know. I see two things in this document that appear to be
contradictory, at first glance.

(a) The contractual nature that is assigned to government in this
document seems to fly in the face of nationhood or patriotism. Why
should we specifically attempt to make India #1 in anything, if our view
of government is that it is the particular service provider we choose?
It is true that we all (in free nations, at least) have some opportunity
to change our citizenship, but within the framework of the plan for
improving our nation, I see "changing the provider" as equivalent to
opting out of the plan. Perhaps there is a subtlety I am missing here.

(b) On the other side of this fence too, the problem is just as
intractable. Presumably, the rights we give ourselves are just as real
in citizens of other nations, in the sense that we hold them to be
universal, even if not self-evident. Does that mean that every other
person on the planet has the right to switch his "contractor" to be the
"government of India". Does such a "customer" have to subscribe to any
of the ground rules that have been established by existing customers?

I do maintain the supremacy of my rights as an individual, separate from
the entities through which I obtain or enforce those rights. At the same
time, nationhood requires some criterion for determining who lies
outside the boundaries of our society.

The problem here is partly in separating a democracy from a republic. In
the first, majority is enough, whereas in the second, the allowances for
protecting the rights of others is paramount. If I hold an opinion that
is contrary or damaging to the security or safety (even if only in
perception) of those who are already contracting for service from the
tricolor, do I still have the option to establish a contract with the
same state? Is everyone in the state under the SAME contract? Does that
contradict the plurality inherent in individual freedom?

I have not thought of the state and citizen in such terms. Let me also
say that I do have an alternate model, but in the light of the (large)
possibility that my unfamiliarity with this approach may have left some
big holes, I will hold off to hear what others (who have considered this
more) have to say.

Regards,

Ashwin Mahesh